Go Back   Department of Higher Living > Entrepreneurship > Traditional Business

Old 11-17-2008, 02:56 PM
Embracing Change

Post Essential reading for the to-be entrepreneur

Hi guys,

Long post alert!

As this is my first post on this forum, I figured I'd start straight away by trying to contribute positively to the body of business knowledge here.

Let me start by saying that I love reading. Reading is a way of accessing the best of the knowledge that has gone before us, and so I make it a habit to read no less than one book a fortnight, and have been doing so for quite a few years. The following is a list of eleven business books that I believe would make a fine addition to the library of the to-be entrepreneur. Why eleven? Why not.

The first three are 'beginners' books in the sense that they give a solid foundation in entrepreneuring and how wealth and money really work. They are also best sellers; the first two have been for over 75 years:

1. Richest Man In Babylon - George Clason

An introduction to personal finance that is presented through a parable about a trader from ancient Babylon. Teaches the timeless skill of wealth building, and is quoted by Tony Robbins and Robert Kiyosaki and probably many others.

2. Think and Grow Rich - Napoleon Hill

An introduction to the mindset and habits of the wealthy and successful.

3. Rich Dad, Poor Dad - Robert Kiyosaki

A book that beautifully explains what it is that allows people to get, and to stay, rich with out a job. The first sequel, Cashflow Quadrant, is also an essential read in my opinion.

The next three are marketing books, and as you will soon learn if you have yet to, marketing is probably the key factor in any successful business these days:

4. Purple Cow - Seth Godin

"Cows, after you've seen one, or two, or ten, are boring. A Purple Cow, though...now that would be something.". This is a book about the new wave of marketing that has emerged now that we've progressed past the 'TV-industrial complex' and the tired 'Four P's'. This book explains how successful businesses today are remarkable and truly noticeable as opposed to generic and invisible. My jaw was in the dropped position pretty much from the first page until I finished the book, t's such a fascinating read.

In fact, I love all of Seth's books and I cannot recommend highly enough that you also check out Unleashing The Ideavirus, Permission Marketing and The Dip. I chose Purple Cow because it's probably the best introduction to Seth's ideas and his style.

5. The Ultimate Marketing Plan - Dan Kennedy

Dan Kennedy, who is nicknamed 'millionaire maker', is my personal business guru. What appeals to me most about what he writes, is that he pays meticulous attention to making all of his ideas 'No B.S.' (in fact, most of his books titles begin with "The NO B.S. Guide To..."). This means that everything he writes comes from either his own experience in building profitable businesses, or is related from the experiences of the thousands of entrepreneurs he has coached in his business consulting career. So in other words: no theory, just proven, practical advice. It also means that there is absolutely no sugar coating on the advise he dispenses: he'll tell you how things are, rather than how you'd like to think things are. I'm so appreciative of a writer who has such dedication to the truth, even at the expense of pissing a lot of people off.

I recommend No B.S. Direct Marketing, No B.S. Sales Success and No B.S. Wealth Attraction for Entrepreneurs as the books to start with besides the one I've mentioned here.

6. The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing - Al Ries and Jack Trout

Written by two world-renowned marketing consultants, this book gives you a straight up and down idea of what marketing is all about. A much more traditional approach than the above two, but a great read nonetheless.

The following are books that are harder to classify, but still rocked my world:

7. The Long Tail - Chris Anderson

This book puts forward the idea that the future of business is not in the 'head of the tail' i.e. the high-volume hit products that occupy the head of the demand curve, but in the 'long tail'; the aggregate of all the 'misses'. For example, its not your bricks-and-mortar CD store selling the top 100 albums that are making money now, but iTunes and Amazon who are selling the bottom 1 million albums. Think about it!

8. Winning Through Intimidation - Robert Ringer

This book give an amazingly candid view of the various personalities you'll find in the business world, and how to deal with them from a position of strength and power. You'll learn how to manipulate your 'posture' in any negotiation to become the intimidator rather than the intimidated.

9. The Four Hour Work Week - Tim Ferriss

A book about time management, business automation, and the lifestyle possibilities of the new rich.

10. The Prince - Niccolo Machiavelli

This book is over 500 years old, but is still an incredible treatise on strategy and the psychology of winning. Far superior, in my opinion, to 48 Laws of Power, and probably on equal par to Art of War.

11. Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand

This book is actually fictional novel that explores that virtues of capitalism, free market economics, creativity and the power of the individual through a story about a man who said he'd stop the world - and did. This book cemented the philosophical and spiritual basis from which my entrepreneurial mindset now operates.Can't recommend it (and everything else written by Rand) enough. From the book:
"So you think that money is the root of all evil? Have you ever asked what is the root of money? Money is a tool of exchange, which can't exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value. Money is not the tool of the moochers, who claim your product by tears, or of the looters, who take it from you by force. Money is made possible only by the men who produce. Is this what you consider evil?"
Let me know if you've read any of these and what your thoughts were, and please post some of your own recommendations

- Tony

Last edited by T-Train; 11-17-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:45 PM
Made

Send a message via MSN to *!!-Swifty-!!* Send a message via Skype™ to *!!-Swifty-!!*

Hey there T-Train - Good to see you made it here ok

I have read the first two - only once - about 2 or three years ago... So really i can't remember much of them... But i might have a look at these other ones sometime soon...

*!!-Swifty-!!*
Still Living, Learning and Experiencing

Check out my new blog at
www.swifty.departmentblog.com
Old 11-17-2008, 06:03 PM
Known

Tyler durden swears by Atlas Shurgged.

id like to suggest Robert Allen, even thou his stuff is a little outdated its good stuff.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:07 AM

Question aaf

jbjokkvbjkghgnlk
Old 12-16-2009, 08:03 PM
Embracing Change

Send a message via ICQ to davioum09
Default Essential reading for the to be entrepreneur

One more thing.... already can see where I could improve on this, all of my ends were between 21 and 25 except for two ... a 14 and a 15and no I didnt miss the target. So it seems like a 230 is attainable.Ike